Saturday, July 21, 2012

Enhancing English Skills in 8 Weeks!


As a full-time worker, I have to work more than eight hours a day since Monday to Friday. It's really hard for me to find any free time to do anything else. When I arrive home, only one thing that I want to do is relaxing. I think many people may have this problem same as me but now I try to change my mind to be more positive thinking that there are many ways to relax and also can improve myself either. Therefore, I make up an 8-week self-study plan to enhance English skills. I think this plan can help other ESL and EFL learners as well.


Week 1 : Let's Charge your life with vocabulary and grammar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/

Words in the News



This website is recommended by my group's presentation in class. I can say that there are many advantages because you can enhance many skills.

First week, I practiced to learn more vocabularies by listening news. There are many video clips called  Words in the News  that you can choose whatever you want. Each clips takes only 3-5 minutes. So just take your time listen to them.



Grammar Challenge

I've got a lot new vocabularies while I practice listening. Of course, my listening also enhances as well. Then I tried new challenging thing to do. I took the challenge by doing the grammar exercise.
Here I can increase my understanding to use more correct grammar. There are many topics for you to choose. So try some to get more challenging in  Grammar Challenge.


Week 2 : Enjoy Listening, Watching and Speaking

http://www.englishcentral.com/courses


Listening More
As I recommended you in my last blog, I really enjoy listening some interesting clips. It's cool because it didn't take too much time practicing but you will gain benefit very much!

This week I will try to listen more by starting from basic to advanced, which are Media English and Acedemic English. This week you will enjoy watching, listening and speaking tons of video clips there.


Week 3 : Let's Have Some Fun!!!

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/  

fun-and-games

This week will be more relaxing but still learning.
Therefore, I choose to visit fun-and-games 
and play some games to freshen up 
our memorizing. Here we can learn or review vocabularies
which are used in everyday life and so on.





After refreshing our mind, then we will find some more activities to do. I see an interesting section in this website so I want to share it with you. It is word-on-street. This can help you to update how people use English in Everyday life.







Finally, It's time to check your grammar. Just click at
grammar-exercises then you can practice and learn 
more grammar.  

This week you will get some fun but still learn English at the same time. Enjoy!



Week 4 : Let's Speak!



This week is about practice announcing the correct pronunciation. So I want to recommend you a website by Teacher Phil. There are tons of video clips to help you improve your skills. Although he is not a native speaker as he comes from Vietnam, he has a perfect accent. Let's prove it by yourselves!

Pronunciation tips

After that, we are going to get some more pronunciation tips from BBC learning EnglishThere are many clips that were provided 
for you.

Now you will be able to pronounce correctly. Please keep in mind that the more you practice, the sooner professional you will be.


Week 5 : Just Listen.

General Listening Quizzes


We will begin with taking the listening quizzes in order to evaluate ourselves by visiting General Listening Quizzes. There are various topics for you to choose.



Australia Network

Next, I suggest you to practice listening Australia English accent by visiting Australia Network. There are many video clips to watch and learn. Moreover, it also provided you with the Study English for IELTS Preparation as well.




English Baby

Lastly, just spend your time learning some more difficult grammar by visiting English Baby.
They were contained with tons of grammar.


Week 6 : Time to Read and Write

This week we will practice Reading & Writing . There are many tips for you to follow.
However, you should keep practicing continuelly then you will enhance these skills better.

Reading & Writing

Week 7 : Listen More and More

http://www.elllo.org/ 

Elllo

ELLLO is an interesting website that you can find many clips to practice listening English. There are many clips from all over the world. You can listen by pressing "play" button. There will be transcript, audio slide show and vocabularies. Moreover, there are vocabulary quizzes and comprehension quizzes provided you so you will be able to evaluate yourselves as well.



Listening Games

Now let's have some fun with Listening Games. Here, you can enhance your listening skill by play games. How cool!



Week 8 : Let's See How You Improve Yourself!




Now we come to the end of the week. Therefore let's take the exams to evaluate yourself how much you improve your English by visit BBC Learning English again. 
The Exam Skills will provide you with many good tips for all skills such as writing, listening, speaking and reading so you will be able to get more points or good marks easily. 



English Tests & Quizzes

At last, visit English Tests & Quizzes to do some more quizzes by visiting ESL.About.Com
This website will be divided in different levels. Choose appropriate level for you then you will get to learn more.


Week     Skills  DescriptionHours
                                   Website
1VocabularyWords in the News1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/
GrammarGrammar Challenge2http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/grammar_challenge/
2Listening and SpeakingMedia English Courses2http://www.englishcentral.com/courses#!/2/difficulty/0/sort//p/1
Listening and SpeakingAcedemic English Courses1http://www.englishcentral.com/courses#!/4/difficulty/0/sort//p/1
3VocabularyFuns and Games1http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/fun-and-games
VocabularyWord on the street1http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/word-street
GrammarGrammar Exercises1http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-exercises
4IdiomIdioms English1http://www.teacherphil.com/english/index.php?directory=14Idioms
PronunciationPronunciation1http://www.teacherphil.com/english/index.php?directory=11Pronunciation
PronunciationPronunciation Tips and Quizzes1http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/pron/sounds/
5ListeningDifficult Topics1http://www.esl-lab.com/
ListeningStudy English for IELTS2http://australianetwork.com/
6GrammarConditionals and others1http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/grammar
ReadingReading Comprehension Practice 1http://esl.about.com/od/beginningenglish/u/start.htm
WritingWriting Descriptive Paragraphs1http://esl.about.com/od/writingabcs/a/writing_descriptive_paragraphs.htm
7ListeningListening More1http://www.elllo.org/
ListeningListening Games2http://elllo.org/english/Games.htm
8All SkillsExams2http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1143_exams/
All SkillsQuizzes1http://esl.about.com/od/englishtestsandquizzes/English_Tests_and_Quizzes_Practice_Materials_for_Learning_English.htm
Total24

No comments:

Post a Comment